In recent months, several fintech companies in Nigeria have suspended their operations of virtual dollar cards. Companies like Flutterwave (Barter), Eversend, Busha, and Klasha are among the ones that have stopped their services.
Virtual cards are similar to physical cards but are entirely digital and can only be used for online shopping and payments. While virtual naira and dollar cards are available in Nigeria, this guide will focus on virtual dollar cards.
As Nigerians, we all know how difficult it can be to make payments online using normal commercial banks (traditional Master or Visa cards).
Getting a physical dollar card from a Nigerian bank is even more challenging, with the stress, documentation, and minimum deposit required. Therefore, in this guide, we will explore the rise of virtual dollar cards in Nigeria and how to choose the right one for you.
Also Read: How to Open Domiciliary account in Nigeria
Get an Offshore Bank Account in Nigeria
Table of Contents
What are Virtual Dollar Cards?
Virtual dollar cards are non-physical cards that are dollar-denominated and are used to enable online payments. They are becoming increasingly popular in Nigeria as they offer a solution when naira-denominated credit or debit cards cannot be used for online transactions.
The use of virtual dollar cards has greatly improved online shopping and payments among Nigerians on international platforms. Nigerian naira-denominated credit or debit cards cannot be used to make purchases or subscriptions on digital media, but virtual dollar cards can.
Virtual dollar cards offer unrestricted use, which makes them ideal for people who do not have physical credit cards or do not want to use them on the Internet.
If you are looking for information about getting a dollar card in Nigeria, there are multiple options. ChipperCash, Payday, and Pocket App are some of the most popular virtual dollar cards available in the country.
Rates and advantages may differ among them, so it’s essential to do your research and find the one that is the most suitable for your needs.
Using virtual dollar cards is a great option for anyone who needs to buy goods internationally or subscribe to services online. They make transactions secure and easy, and more and more Nigerians are resorting to them.
How to Choose a Virtual Dollar Card?
The popularity of virtual dollar cards is growing among Nigerians as an alternative to traditional credit and debit cards, due to the growing use of online payments.
These cards provide users the ability to make transactions in US dollars without needing a physical card, especially when shopping on international websites or using foreign online services.
Deciding on a suitable virtual dollar card can be difficult since there are numerous options available. Here are a few factors to consider when picking a virtual dollar card:
- Security: Protecting your information is of the utmost importance when conducting any online transaction. Research different virtual cards to ensure they have security measures like two-factor authentication, detection of fraudulent activity, and continual tracking of transactions.
- Fees: Make sure you check out the fees the card issuer charges. Some virtual card providers might have monthly maintenance fees, transaction fees, or currency conversion fees. Compare these costs to make sure you pick a card that fits what you can afford.
- Accessibility: Consider how easy it is to use the virtual card. Look for a provider that offers a user-friendly online platform and mobile app. It’s also important to ensure that the card can be used with a range of international websites and services.
- Reputation: Research the provider’s reputation in the market. Check online reviews and feedback from other users to gain an understanding of their experiences with the card issuer.
- Customer support: Choose a virtual card provider that offers reliable customer support. This could include email, phone, or live chat support, as well as an FAQ section or knowledge base to help you troubleshoot any issues.
By considering these factors, you can select a virtual dollar card that suits your needs and preferences. With the right card in hand, you can enjoy the convenience and security of online transactions without the limitations of traditional cards.
Also Read: How to check BVN using your phone number
What are the Best Virtual Dollar Cards in Nigeria?
Virtual dollar cards are becoming increasingly popular in Nigeria as they offer a simple and safe way to make online purchases from international websites. Here are the top ten virtual dollar card providers in Nigeria, along with their benefits:
- Chippercash – allows users to make dollar payments without any hidden fees or transaction charges.
- Payday virtual dollar card – offers low transaction fees, and the card is issued instantly.
- Pocket App by PiggyVest – enables users to convert Naira to dollars instantly, and the card can be used on multiple platforms.
- Flip by FluidCoins – has a high spending limit and provides real-time alerts for every transaction.
- Eyowo – enables users to create multiple virtual cards with different limits, and the card is linked to a savings account.
- ALAT By Wema card – offers a secure way to make international payments and can be easily linked to any account.
- Gomoney virtual card – comes with a free card delivery option and provides users with virtual cards instantly.
- Spectrocard Dollar Card – allows users to withdraw cash at ATMs and offers an easy online application process.
- WalletsAfrica – offers competitive exchange rates and allows users to purchase virtual cards instantly.
- Kuda bank card – provides users with a free card and has no transaction fees or hidden charges.
It is important to note that a deep dive into each of these providers is necessary to analyze the benefits and drawbacks of each card.
This will help you to choose the best virtual dollar card for your needs. To get a dollar card in Nigeria, simply visit the website of the virtual card provider of your choice and follow the application process.
What are the Rates for Virtual Dollar Cards?
It is important to be aware of the various rates associated with virtual dollar cards in Nigeria before making a purchase. These rates may vary depending on the issuing company, the card features, and the type of transaction.
It is essential to compare the rates and fees of various virtual dollar card providers before picking one, as some offer a fixed exchange rate for transactions and others offer real-time market rates that change with the foreign exchange market.
Be sure to check out all the details before signing up for a virtual dollar card, ’cause there could be extra charges like maintenance fees, transaction fees, and reload fees. Also, some providers may charge fees if you don’t use the card or cancel it. So, don’t forget to read the terms and conditions of your issuer!
Even with the possibility of fees, virtual dollar cards provide better rates than normal banks and money transfer services. Plus, they make it easier and more convenient to make purchases online, especially for those who don’t have regular bank accounts or debit cards.
It is important to consider the costs and charges associated with virtual dollar cards in comparison to the benefits they can provide to decide if they are the suitable option for you.
Finding the right provider and being aware of the fees can make virtual dollar cards a cost-effective and useful alternative for digital transactions.
Advantages of using virtual cards
Virtual dollar cards have gained popularity in recent times as an alternative payment option. Here are some of the benefits of using virtual dollar cards:
- Enhanced Security: The use of virtual dollar cards provides increased security compared to physical cards which can be misplaced, taken, or illegally copied. Therefore, virtual dollar cards are more secure than traditional debit cards.
- Global Accessibility: Virtual dollar cards make it possible to pay for items and services worldwide without having to worry about foreign exchange rates or the limits and regulations that may be associated with regular debit or credit cards.
- Better Budgeting: You can use virtual dollar cards to help manage your finances and stay within your budget by setting spending limits. This will help to prevent overspending.
- Quick and Easy Transactions: Virtual dollar cards make it possible for people to purchase goods and services quickly and conveniently, allowing them to complete transactions in a matter of seconds.
- Minimal Fees: Virtual dollar cards typically come with low costs, making them a cost-effective choice for making payments.
Also Read: Why Cash App Is Not Available in Nigeria | Explained
Disadvantages of using virtual dollar cards
When using virtual dollar cards, there may be potential drawbacks to consider. It’s important to be aware of the following potential issues:
It is important to take the time to read the terms and conditions before signing up for a virtual dollar card, as some of them may come with fees for certain types of transactions or account maintenance.
- Limited acceptance: Virtual dollar cards may not be accepted as widely as traditional credit or debit cards, meaning you may not be able to use your card at every online store or service.
- Security risks: As with any online financial transaction, there is always a risk of fraud or hacking. Make sure to only use your virtual dollar card on reputable sites and keep your account information secure.
- Exchange rate fluctuations: Keep an eye on the exchange rate when buying stuff with your virtual dollar card linked to the US dollar, ’cause it can affect the value of what you’re buying. Especially if you’re making bigger purchases, it’s worth paying attention.
Virtual dollar cards can be a likely consideration for those wanting to make internet purchases or payments on foreign websites.
It is important, however, to consider the potential disadvantages before using virtual cards to ensure that safe financial practices are adhered to for the protection of account security.
Also Read: MTN Airtime Transfer Code: How to Transfer Credit on MTN Step-by-Step Guide
How to share data on Airtel: A step-by-step guide 2023
FAQ About Virtual Cards
- What is a virtual dollar card?
A virtual dollar card is a prepaid card that enables you to shop online in dollars. It works like a regular debit card but can only be used for online purchases.
- Can I use my virtual dollar card for offline purchases?
No, virtual dollar cards are exclusively for online use.
- Do I need a dollar account to get a virtual dollar card?
No, you do not need a dollar account to get a virtual dollar card. Most virtual dollar card providers allow you to fund your card in Naira and will automatically convert your Naira to dollars when making online purchases.
- Are there any transaction limits with virtual dollar cards?
Yes, most virtual dollar card providers have daily transaction limits. These limits vary depending on the provider and the type of card you have.
- Are virtual dollar cards safe?
Yes, virtual dollar cards are safe to use as they have the same security features as regular debit cards. However, it’s important to use them only on reputable and secure websites to avoid fraudulent activities.
- How do I fund my virtual dollar card?
Most virtual dollar card providers allow you to fund your card through bank transfers or credit/debit card payments.
- What is the validity period for a virtual dollar card?
The validity period for virtual dollar cards varies depending on the provider. Some have validity periods of one year, while others have two years.
- Can I use my virtual dollar card to withdraw cash from ATMs?
No, virtual dollar cards cannot be used to withdraw cash from ATMs. They are strictly for online purchases only.
- Can I use my virtual dollar card to shop on international websites?
Yes, virtual dollar cards can be used to shop on international websites that accept dollars as a mode of payment. However, some providers may restrict certain international transactions, so it’s important to check with your provider.
- What happens if I lose my virtual dollar card?
If you lose your virtual dollar card, you should contact your provider immediately to report the loss and block the card. You may also be required to provide some form of identification to prove ownership of the card before a replacement can be issued.